If you are concerned about eating healthy meals, the appetizers can be just as important as the main course. One good thing about healthy appetizers is that they can fill you up so you don’t overeat during the rest of the meal. The following are ten of the healthiest appetizers you can eat.
1. Salmon is a healthy, high protein food that can be great for appetizers as well as main courses. Placing a smoked salmon spread on whole grain crackers is a nutritious way to start a meal.
2. This dish, which is made from ground chickpeas, sesame seeds and spices is another high protein appetizer that is tasty as well as filling. Hummus can be served on pita bread triangles or on crackers.
3. Shrimp are a delicious seafood dish that are also low in calories. The secret to making this dish healthy and tasty is to make (or purchase) a good cocktail sauce. If you like spicy foods, you can make a great cocktail sauce with ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, lemon juice and a little garlic.
Baked Chicken Wings
4. Baked chicken wings are much healthier than fried, and you can either make these yourself or find a good restaurant that cooks them well. Baking them with some lemon juice, olive oil and a little vodka will create healthy and flavorful chicken wings.
5. These are a healthy alternative to french fries with only half the calories. All you need to make this appetizer is some zucchini, breadcrumbs, milk, eggs and some parmesan cheese. Dip the zucchini into a mixture of the other ingredients and bake.
6. Eggs are always a good way to start a meal. To make deviled eggs, first hardball the eggs and cut them in half. Then fill them with a mixture of mayonnaise, mustard and paprika, salt and pepper.
7. A staple of the famous Mediterranean Diet, this is a salad that’s full of healthy ingredients.
There are many variations, but you should definitely have cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese and olives. A dressing of olive oil and vinegar is sufficient to bring out the flavors of this traditional Greek dish.
White Bean Dip
8. Beans are nutritious, filling and delicious. All that’s required for a white bean dip are a can of white beans (or freshly prepared white beans, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic cloves. Blend the ingredients in a food processor. It can be served on pita triangles or whole grain crackers.
9. Nachos can be fattening and full of sodium or they can be healthy. The trick to making them healthy is to start with some multigrain tortilla chips. For the topping use low fat cheddar or monterey jack cheese, olive oil, lime juice and onion. After baking, place some diced avocado and salsa on top.
10. Edamame is a food made from soybeans that’s popular in many parts of Asia. It is easy to prepare. Boil it for five minutes until it’s tender. To make a tasty dip, blend the edamame with olive oil and lemon juice. Garnish with fresh basil and serve with pita chips.