For a wholesome, satisfying, energy-boosting, disease-busting fruit that you can eat year round, reach for a banana.
Bananas can be purchased very inexpensively at your local grocery store, so there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to enjoy them and reap their health benefits on a daily basis.
Bananas are high in potassium, vitamin B6, folate, magnesium, dietary fiber and sugars and contain a moderate amount of protein, manganese and vitamin C. Bananas also contain trace amounts of vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B5, choline, calcium, iron, phosphorus and zinc.
Praise For the Banana
Bananas are probably one of the most common fruits eaten around the world, because they are harvested year round, their supply is plenteous (which probably explains their low price), they taste great, and they have so many health benefits – some of which many people may not be aware.
- Cough Suppressant – Did you know that eating a banana can soothe your persistent cough, especially if it’s the result of digestive problems like heartburn and acid reflux? If you regularly experience heartburn, follow your meals with a half or whole banana and the problem should eventually subside.
- Bone Strengthener – It’s no secret that bananas are a good source of potassium, and calcium and potassium work hand in hand to keep your bones strong and healthy. Without potassium, calcium levels decline or at least calcium is rendered futile.The body just isn’t able to absorb calcium without the presence of potassium. So eating any foods that are rich in potassium reactivates calcium stores and puts new intakes of calcium to work making your bones tougher, so that osteoporosis and bone fractures can be avoided.
- Diarrhea & Constipation Destroyer – Potassium also has its work cut out when it comes to diarrhea and constipation. The loss of fluids that occurs with diarrhea can lead to dehydration that water alone cannot remedy, but adding potassium to the mix after the onset of diarrhea can regulate your fluids once more and help water to get recirculated throughout the body. The high fiber content in bananas keeps bowels functioning properly and gets rid of constipation.
- Heart Disease & Stroke Blocker – There is a pattern forming about where bananas get their power: Potassium has a lot to do with it. The high levels of potassium, coupled with the low sodium in bananas, also regulates blood pressure and folate within bananas lowers homocysteine levels in the blood, which could trigger heart attacks and heart disease if left unchecked. According to the New England Journal of Medicine, regular banana consumption can cut your stroke risk by a whopping 40 percent.
- Ulcer Eliminator – Bananas, and their cousin plantains, have been known to thicken the mucous membranes that line the stomach, which soothes and heals ulcers.
- Kidney Disease Preventer – Antioxidants within bananas significantly lower one’s risk of developing kidney disease by up to 40 percent, when consumed frequently.
- Energy and Mood Booster – Sugars and the amino acid trytophan together raise serotonin levels that directly affect the way a person feels. When serotonin levels are high, moods rise and depression and sadness tend to dissipate.Stress levels also go down, so the body is more relaxed. Sugar is known to boost energy levels, but there is no sugar high and crash with bananas because of the high amount of fiber that balances the sugars out, making this fruit no real threat to diabetics.