The Cabbage Soup Diet has been around since the 1980’s and has continued to circulate among those who want to lose lots of weight in a short period of time. Like most diets, it has a good side and a bad side.
The Cabbage Soup Diet relies mostly on cabbage to aid in weight loss, and whenever there’s too much emphasis on one food rather than a balanced mix of foods, that tends to create a problem or a health risk. Read on to explore the diet a little further.
Cabbage Soup Diet Plan
The Cabbage Soup Diet consists of a 7-day regimen of mostly cabbage soup, water, a few fill-in meats and carbs, other fruits and veggies. The ingredients used for the cabbage soup vary, but are usually cabbage, scallions, green peppers, stewed tomatoes, onion soup mix, chicken or beef bouillon cubes, celery, carrots, and seasonings of your choice for added flavor. You are allowed as much of the cabbage soup as you like, with alternating foods on other days. Here’s the day-to-day breakdown:
Day 1 – All fruits except bananas, cabbage soup, water, cranberry juice, tea or coffee
Day 2 – All veggies except beans, peas or corn, one baked potato, cabbage soup and same drinks
Day 3 – Approved fruits and veggies, cabbage soup
Day 4 – Eight or fewer bananas, skim milk, cabbage soup
Day 5 – Six or fewer tomatoes, 20 oz. or less of chicken, fish or beef, cabbage soup and water
Day 6 – As much cabbage soup and veggies as you like, 3 or fewer steaks
Day 7 – As much cabbage soup and veggies as you like, brown rice
- You can lose up to 17 pounds in 7 days.
- It’s a fairly simple plan to follow and of short duration.
- The ingredients are inexpensive and easy to find in the grocery store.
- The cabbage soup has very little calories so you can eat as much as you want.
- You will be getting more vegetables and water in your body, which is a good thing.
- It is a good accompaniment to fasting, since it carries your body through a sort of detox.
- Heart patients and the severely obese could use this diet as a quick jumpstart to eating right and losing weight.
- The bland mix of foods and huge lots of cabbage soup can become boring and monotonous.
- Weight loss is typically water weight and thus quickly regained when regular eating is resumed.
- The food mix is lacking in nutritional balance, which isn’t healthy over an extended period of time.
- The abundance of cabbage and veggies you eat, as well as the milk and bananas, together produce a lot of intestinal gas and bloating.
- The recommended healthy amount of weight one should lose is 2 pounds per week, so losing 10-17 pounds with this diet could be dangerous, especially if it’s continued beyond one week.
The facts are laid out for you, so now it’s up to you to be the judge; and of course, consult your doctor before beginning any nutritional or fitness regime. Furthermore, dieting is not a wise approach to getting fit. Rather, choose an active lifestyle and eat foods you know are good for you.