The idea of healthy alcoholic drinks may sound strange at first. Most people are taught that alcohol is unhealthy. Recent studies, however, show that moderate consumption of alcohol may actually prevent certain diseases and contribute to longevity. Some alcoholic beverages, however, are healthier than others. Let’s take a look at 10 of the healthiest choices you can make when you do decide to consume alcohol.
1. The health benefits of red wine have become well publicized recently. This is part of the famous Mediterranean Diet that helps to keep people in countries like Greece, France and Italy trim and healthy. Red wine contains a large number of antioxidants as well as minerals. Drinking a glass per day can help reduce bad cholesterol.
2. This drink is made with vodka, tomato juice and horseradish. To add flavor, sauces such as Tabasco and/or Worcestershire are usually added along with a dash of salt and pepper. It’s a low calorie drink and the tomatoes and horseradish add lots of healthy nutrients.
3. This sweet and fruity drink is a favorite in Mexican restaurants. It’s most healthy when there is no added sugar. Sangria made with fresh fruit is rich in antioxidants and vitamins. If you’re watching your calories, however, you should drink this in moderation.
4. This famous Irish beer has a rich, distinctive flavor and is quite nutritious. Unlike lager beers, Guiness is made mostly from whole grains. Like wine, it’s also rich in antioxidants.
5. This is a basic and traditional drink that is surprisingly healthy. Whiskey is one of the lowest calorie alcoholic drinks you can buy.
6. Ordering a vodka and soda is always a good choice if you’re trying to keep your calorie intake down. While this drink doesn’t contain the nutritional value of many others it’s always an alternative to sweet, high calorie drinks.
7. This drink is made with lager beer, lime, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
Beer is full of antioxidants and lime is rich in Vitamin C. A hot sauce made with cayenne peppers also has health benefits. Studies show that chili peppers speed up the metabolism and may even prevent certain cancers.
8. This drink is practically mandatory at many celebrations, so fortunately it’s a healthy and low calorie drink. A glass of champagne has fewer calories than an equivalent glass of beer or wine.
9. This is a tasty and refreshing summer beverage made with tequila, vodka, sparkling water and fresh lemons. This, at least, is the healthiest recipe you can use for this drink. Lemons are rich in vitamins and have a detoxifying effect on the body.
Gin and Tonic
10. Another great standby that is low in calories. It’s made simply with gin and tonic water and usually with a wedge of lime added.