Though dieting has been pummeled in the world of health and fitness for so long, some type of balanced eating regimen is necessary to keep the good foods in and the bad foods out. How does the Chemical Breakdown Diet weigh in?
The Chemical Breakdown Diet is meant to detoxify the body, provide a quick way to shed some pounds, and help give you a boost in the right direction of getting fit. Read on to see whether the good outweighs the bad.
Chemical Breakdown Diet Plan
The Chemical Breakdown Diet consists of a 3-day regime of highly restricted eating, followed by 4 days of liberal eating. The diet boasts that you can lose about 10 pounds per week, and it incorporates a few foods that you wouldn’t normally consider to be healthy foods like hotdogs and ice cream.
The concept of the diet is that combining certain foods together in moderation will increase metabolism and turn the body into a fat-burning machine. The daring claim is that this can be achieved in 3 days. Many people have lost a significant amount of weight with the Chemical Breakdown Diet, but let’s explore the pros and cons. Here’s the day-to-day breakdown:
Breakfast – ½ grapefruit, slice of toast with 1 tbsp. of peanut butter, tea or coffee
Lunch – ½ cup tuna, slice of toast, tea or coffee
Dinner – 3 oz. lean meat, 1 cup string beans, 1 cup carrots, 1 small apple, 1 cup vanilla ice cream
Breakfast – 1 egg, ½ banana, 1 slice of toast, coffee or tea
Lunch – 1 cup cottage cheese or tuna, 8 saltines
Dinner – 2 beef hotdogs, 1 cup broccoli, ½ cup carrots, ½ banana, ½ cup vanilla ice cream
Breakfast – 1 oz. cheddar cheese, 5 saltines, 1 small apple, coffee or tea
Lunch – 1 boiled egg, 1 slice of toast, coffee or tea
Dinner – 1 cup tuna, 1 cup carrots, 1 cup cauliflower, 1 cup melon, ½ cup vanilla ice cream
- You can have a little ice cream and fruit on 2 out of the 3 days.
- The foods are inexpensive and easy to find at your local supermarket.
- Your body is being detoxified through the chemical combinations of food.
- Almost anyone can stick to a restricted diet for 3 days, and the other 4 days of the week are free.
- The diet works; you can lose up to 10 pounds in 3-7 days and your metabolism will likely increase.
- You must follow the plan perfectly to achieve results.
- Weight loss is mostly water weight and is easily regained.
- Some of the food combinations are weird and undesirable.
- Critics argue that weight loss is the result of consuming fewer calories rather than the food mix.
- Because you are eating so little, you may get dizzy and hungry quickly and can easily lapse back into unhealthy eating.
- The food mix is not healthy over the long term, and processed food like hotdogs is a very poor choice. Processed foods contain additives and chemicals that are potentially harmful to the body.
The Chemical Breakdown Diet does work, but a healthy, long-term lifestyle change in your eating and exercise pattern is the best plan to follow.