One green pea has nearly twice the protein found in most vegetables and is chock-full of antioxidants, flavonoids, vitamins and nutrients. It’s one powerful pea in a pod.
Behind all of that power is the ability to ward off heart disease, cancer, diabetes, arthritis and weight gain. You’ll want to read on to see what more green peas have to offer.
Inside Green Peas
Peas are a great source of vitamin C, dietary fiber and protein. They are also a good source of thiamine, folate, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, potassium, and beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin (which the body converts to vitamin A). The vegetable also contains riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, calcium and iron.
What’s So Great About Green Peas?
- Promotes Heart Health – Because green peas contain lots of fiber, they will likely reduce your cholesterol levels to the normal range, thus reducing your chances of developing heart disease or a stroke. Besides fiber, green peas have a huge amount of potassium and very little sodium. This translates to good blood pressure, since the ratio of potassium to sodium in the body is a direct reflection of how balanced or normal your blood pressure will be.
- High-sodium diets exacerbate high blood pressure problems, and one of the quickest ways to curb this problem (aside from doctor-prescribed medications) is to increase your intake of potassium. Once blood pressure is regulated, your heart can rest easy and get back to functioning normally.
- Regulates Blood Sugar – Green peas have very little sugar, but lots of fiber. That means that blood sugar spikes are avoided and blood sugar levels over time will come down. Fiber has the amazing ability to balance out sugary foods so that they don’t cause so much damage; so though sugar isn’t something you should eat a lot of anyway, when you have your occasional sugary treat, combine it with a fiber-rich food and your body will metabolize the foods better and quickly slough off any waste.
- Aids in Weight Loss – Low in calories, but high in fiber and protein, green peas have the perfect mix to keep your weight under control or even help you shed those unwanted pounds. Here’s how: Fiber gives you a feeling of fullness, while protein slows down the digestive process keeping you fuller longer and suppressing your appetite. The result is that you will eat less, consume fewer calories, gain better control and lose weight.
- Prevents Stomach Cancer – Stomach cancer typically occurs in the absence of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents, which fight free radicals and disease-causing substances that take up residence in the intestines. Studies have shown that eating green peas and/or other legumes on a daily basis may contribute to a decreased risk for stomach cancer. Green peas in particular have a good supply of the polyphenol coumestrol, which has proven cancer-fighting ability.
- Reduces Inflammation – Green peas contain anti-inflammatory phytonutrients called Pisumsaponins I and II, pisomosides A and B, as well as omega-3 fatty acids. All of these nutrients reduce inflammation and relieve the symptoms associated with inflammatory conditions like arthritis, gout and heart disease.